Wednesday, December 23, 2009

An excellent idea

I stumbled upon Nathan Bransford's blog today. He's a literary agent and writer in San Francisco. And today he's got this excellent idea.

For each comment his readers post today, he will donate $1 to Heifer International, my favorite kind of organization - one that doesn't just give, but empowers. Heifer International provides families around the world with livestock and training so that they can make a sustainable living. And part of the deal is that they must pass along one of the offspring of their goat or cow to a friend or neighbor.

So I am following Nathan's example. Since I have so few readers (Hi, Dad!), I'll contribute $5 for every comment to this post, up to $100.

And if you'd like to contribute yourself, here is Heifer International's gift catalog. (You can buy a flock of chicks for $20!)

I know times are tight, but it doesn't take much to make a big difference to someone who really needs it.

Merry Christmas!

7 comments:

  1. Hey you...I don't know why, but I didn't realize you kept a blog. Am I just a dolt? Whatever the case, you are now on my Google Reader (a tool I just learned about last month).

    Happy Holidays, Fitzie.
    Look forward to finding good parking spots with you in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Google Reader?? I am honored.

    Yes, here's to good parking spots and many other delightful discoveries this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to help with a great idea! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put me down for $10, honey.
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Aaryn, Dad and T! I just bought a flock of chicks! Next year, maybe a water buffalo! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, Elizabeth! A few years ago, when I was still teaching, my classroom pitched in and bought a portion of a cow, in my honor. That was one of mt favorite, most memorable gifts, in 10 years of teaching. Happy New year!

    Elizabeth (Lovas) Jacobson

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and I forgot to add, my cow was also from Heifer International!

    Cheers!

    Elizabeth Jacobson

    ReplyDelete