Thursday, January 28, 2010

The best _____ ever

On my wedding day, my grandfather proudly stood up, made sure he had the attention of my 80 guests and pointed to my husband.

"He's the luckiest man in the world!"

Lots of awwws from the crowd. Then, he turned to me.

"This is the best day of my life."

A year later, my dad took Grandpa fishing. It was spring, warm, the fish were biting. Grandpa looked at Dad.

"This is the best day of my life."

I may have inherited the overstatements.

"This is the best cheeseburger of my life!" (In 'N' Out, Culvers, a burger from my grill)

"It's the best movie I've ever seen." (Dr. Zhivago, The Shawshank Redemption, The Princess and the Frog)

"You are the smartest, most beautiful girl in the world." (To Natalie, which to any of you who know her is obviously just a statement of fact.)

So I have earned a reputation as an overstater. No one believes me anymore. I've tried to tone it down. But the other night I came home from dinner with a new friend and told Tony:

"I think she could be it! My new BFF!"

He told me to slow down honey.

And I knew what he was thinking, that I was just caught up in the moment.

But I don't care. Because my wedding day WAS the best day of my grandpa's life, and so was the day he went fishing. And so were all the other days when he was happy and and the people he loved were happy and the fish were biting and everything was perfect.

"Well that's how it feels," I said.

And then I had a thought, which I shared with him.

"How come when I say you're the handsomest man in San Diego, or that I prefer you over George Clooney (George Clooney!) or that you're the love of my life, you believe me? How come?"

And you know what? He didn't have an answer. He just takes it as the truth.

So there. I'm now going to see if I can find the Best Cup of Coffee.

1 comment:

  1. Best cup of coffee in San Diego is at The Art of Espresso. Hint. Hint.

    ReplyDelete